This Page Under Construction by YOU
Creating a Chapter Scrapbook
Why Create a Chapter Scrapbook? - "Let me count the whys."
- A Meetings & Activities Log will be a big help in preparing your Annual Report, if one is needed, and a guide in laying out your calendar for the following year
- A Record of Past Achievements will help reignite the flames of inspiration during those times when your chapter seems to be in the doldrums, thus motivating you to reinvent yourselves
- A Hardcopy Scrapbook is a good thing to have out on your information table. It tells visitors to your exhibit or information booth what you do and shows them how much fun you have doing it. What a great recruiting tool!
- An Online Scrapbook will not only help you motivate visitors to your website to join the chapter, it will work to inspire and encourage visitors from other chapters to do similar things.
- What about new chapters? You are just getting started and the idea of starting a scrapbook seems a little like jumping the gun. Skip to here.
What to include in a Chapter Scrapbook?
- A Meetings & Activities Log
- A Section on Each Chapter Project actually undertaken. The original project proposal and what it entailed. Who was involved at the start. Who joined in later. Challenges overcome. Challenges that are still a problem. Progress Report. Evaluation of the results.
- A Photo Gallery
- chapter officers and members, posing and/or engaged in activities
- chapter exhibits, models, etc.
- any chapter produced merchandise
- chapter events: exhibit booths, chapter member speaking before an audience, guest speaker at a chapter meeting, greeting VIPs, working on projects, creating a model, on field trips, at a movie outing - in fact, why not assign an official photographer, and give him or her a budget for film and processing
Safekeeping is Job #1
The time to start - not on your scrapbook, but on preserving the things that might go in it one day - is now. It may not be until a few years down the road that you realize that its been a story worth telling. The records may not be there.
Get in the good habit of safekeeping certain items from the start. When the time is ripe to think about producing a scrapbook, either online, or in physical form or both, you will be in good shape if you do these two things:
- Create a Scrapbook Folder on your Computer. But continue to put every document, letter, flyer, photo where it should logically go. All you need put in the Scrapbook Folder is a bunch of aliases. When you save something like a new flyer, details of a new project, designs for an exhibit, photos, continue to save them where they should be. But in each case where the item represents an "achievement" or a "record of achievement," when you file it away, create an alias of the file and dump the alias in the Scrapbook Folder.
- Have a special box, well-marked and easily identifiable, to hold printed photos, newsletter copies, program books, certificates of achievement - anything physical that records where your chapter has been and what it has done or tried to do.
Online Scrapbooks - Show 'em the goods!
- Option: a separate page or pages on your chapter website
- Option: A Yahoo Groups or E-groups page, where the Scrapbook can become a joint chapter project. But do pre-agree on guidelines, to avoid embarrassing or disruptive contributions. This option allows discussion threads as well as galleries to which any member can post.
- Online Scrapbooking Tutorials
Good Old Fashioned Hardcopy Scrapbooks - An established art form!
- Appearance: Pick an album that is both attractive and appropriate, and/or whose cover can be customized
- Function: Pick an album format for which you can buy various kinds of insert pages, pages for text, pages for pictures and clippings, etc.
- Scrapbooking Tutorials - scrapbooking is an art form about which much has been written and taught. You can wing it, or you can check out local scrapbooking clubs for a primer in the basics. A well-laid out scrapbook is more effective than one that is a random compilation of whatever! Here are some Online Scrapbooking aids:
- Videptape records of various events can be edited into a virtual running history of your chapter. If someone wants to undertake such a project, that would be great.